I had the most exciting thing happen this week! I had the honor of being nominated by Jonathan Bodice of Jonathan’s Studio for the Newbie Blogging Liebster Award! It is my first blogging award and am excited to pass along this little blessing to other bloggers so they too can feel the boost I do today. The blogging community is pretty cool and this is one of there reasons why. I really want to thank Jonathan for giving a blog like mine, with such heavy subject matter, a serious look. That says a lot about him and I hope you’ll visit his blog.
What is the Newbie Blogger Liebster Award? The Newbie Blogging Liebster Award is an award given to new bloggers, usually for those who have less than 200 followers, by other bloggers as a way to support each other in our journey to growing and building our blogs. Like I said, bloggers are an awesome bunch.
What are the rules?
Post your award to your blog
Answer the questions you were given by the person who nominated you
Nominate a small group of other new bloggers you’ve discovered
Create 10 new questions for the nominees
Thank the blogger who nominated you and link their blog
Here are the questions Jonathan asked me and my answers:
1. Why did you start blogging? I began journaling as a means of therapy after the loss of my son. A friend encouraged me to blog, even gave me a MacBook Air as inspiration! I badly needed an outlet for my grief. I know I am at my best when I am with others and helping others, so blogging seemed like a way I could do that. I began reading everything I could about blogging and that creative process was a life saver. The actual blogging feels like a natural extension of my life. The technical part…not so much.
2. What is your plan or goal that you wanna reach through blogging? My goal is simple-to reach as many grieving parents or people suffering other losses as I can, and let them know 1. they are not alone. 2. there are people who intimately understand their pain 3. they will make it. My plan is to keep hope in my own life and to continue to Believe Against The Grain so I can help others do the same. Maybe write a book someday? Now I’m dreaming big, and that’s OK.
3. Where do you get inspiration for your writing? I have 3 inspirations; My son, the survival walk that I am on, and my faith. They fuel everything.
4. What advice would you give to someone who wants to start a blog? Read, read, read before you get started. Join groups like Blogging Boost, DYOB Blog Beautiful and Blogging Community to get answers and ideas. Read a lot of other blogs and never ever write from anywhere other than your own heart. Only you can say what is in your heart and your life.
5. What other hobbies do you have? I love anything creative. I love to crochet, draw and paint, although I don’t get to do that much anymore. When the boys were little, they always had murals on their walls. All 4 walls. It was so fun. I love music and taking photographs. I love health and fitness and anything that gets me outdoors and being physical. I love working out…I know. Weird.
6. What is the best book that you can recommend? I guess that depends on what I am recommending it for. For Blogging I have currently been enjoying How To Blog For Profit by Ruth Soukup. ( No I am not blogging for profit, but she has step by step advice on how to be awesome enough to make money if you wanted. I would be happy just being awesome enough.) For grief or surviving the loss of a child, I recommend Gone but Not Lost by Daid W. Wiersbe.
7. If you could relocate with your family, where would it be? Oh boy. Well, if we are dreaming here, it would have to be with all of my boys and we would relocate to a ginormous mountain cabin in Montana with lakes and horses and majestic beauty.
8. What is the nr.1 thing on your bucket list, and why? To watch my boys hold their own children, so they can know exactly how desperately they are loved.
9. How do you like to spend your free time? Having large family gatherings where its so loud you can’t even hear each other talk, doing anything with my boys-anything at all, writing, reading, being with my friends-especially out on the lake, sitting outside on my patio at night with a glass of wine watching the night sky.
10. What is the one quote that you think it suits you best? This is the quote that I hope will some day suit me best; “The most beautiful people we know are the ones who have suffered defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, and sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” Elizabeth Kubler Ros
Here are the blogs I have nominated!
My questions for them are.
- Why did you start blogging?
- What do you find to be the most difficult part about blogging?
- Where do you get your inspiration from?
- What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a blog?
- What is your favorite aspect of blogging?
- What other hobbies do you have?
- If you could describe yourself as your favorite snack, what would it be and why?
- How do you spend your free time?
- What quote best describes you and why?
Congratulations to all of you who have been nominated and keep up the great work!
Don’t forget that supporting each other is how we all grow and help build each others blogs.
Thank you again Jonathan!